Friday, February 15, 2008

Mission Completed - 5th injection done on Feb 11, 2008

Had my 5th and last injection by IV on Monday, Feb 11, 2008. I walked to the treatment room and back - unlike previous times, when the nurses had wheeled me there and back on my bed.

My doctor stayed with me the whole time - about 45 mins. I was able to discuss some areas of interest. He told me that Beike is 2 Chinese words - Bei for "North" and Ke for "Science". Also that the stem cells are created in a lab not far from the hospital and are transported within 12 hours to ensure optimum viability. The short shelf life of the stem cells means they cannot be shipped to other centres. Other countries would have to invest in laboratories ahead of hospitals. That is, when they decide that they should adopt this technology.

I completed my discharge formalities on Feb 13. Blood and urine tests, an EKG, a lung capacity test and so on. They gave me a discharge report with contact details of the doctor. Also a questionnaire for self evaluation of the treatment and the facilities.

I left Haikou early morning on Feb 14th and am now in India. Plan to leave for Canada in a week or so. Had a fairly comfortable trip despite navigating 3 flights : Haikou-Guangzhou; Guangzhou-Kuala Lumpur; KL-Chennai.

No comments: