Saturday, January 19, 2008

First Stem Cell Injection and the Next Few Days

I had my first spinal stem cell injection 4 days ago - on Wednesday. The procedure was done under local anasthetic and was not really painful, but I was quite terrified all the time.

My bed was wheeled from the room to the treatment room. There, they swabbed my back with alcohol - felt very cold. An IV line was set up on my arm. An anesthetic injection was given on the back. Then they kept prodding and searching on the backbone - to find the sweet spot, I guess. I had an oqxygen mask on. My doctor and translator were in the room and tellinhg me the actual process would take 15-20 mins. I could feel the actual needle going into my backbonme, but there was no pain. It was over in reasonable time. The oxygen mask was removed. The IV bottle was allowed to run out.

I was wheeled back to the room. Told not to drink for 1 hour. Also lie flat on my back, without a pillow, for 4-6 hours. I was told I would get a head ache if I lifted my head.

I lay around, feeling rather uncomfortable. The nurses kept checking BP, pulse etc. After 2 hours, my legs started hurting. Finally on hour 3, I took a pain killer. Things then settled down.

By evening I started running a fever, which lasted for about 24 hours, but was controlled by medicine.

From Thursday onwards, I have been going for 2 sessions of 45 mins each of Physio Therapy - cycling, wrist exercises, balancing, stair climbing and so on.

Honestly, I cannot say that miracles have happened after my first injection. Perhaps 1 injection and 4 days is too little to start seeing any changes. I have 4 more injections to go + lots of Physiotherapy, so I am quite hopeful.

As to the hospital routine, there is a doctors's group visit at 8.30 am. Physio at 11 am and 4 pm. No physio on stem cell injection day and Sundays.

BTW, this site (www.blogger.com) is only partially working in China. It allows me to make posts, but I cannot see the blog. So I guess I will keep posting in the hope that it is actually getting published. I think the China Stem Cells site is picking up this blog, so until last week, I was able to see it there.

No comments: