Sunday, December 23, 2007

Introducing Me

Hi readers

I am a male, middle-aged, young at heart, born in India and now living in Canada.

I currently work in the financial services industry as an analyst. I am trying to get an entrepreneurial venture going, but that's not the reason why I am here.

I suffer from a neurological condition named Spino Cerebellar Ataxia which is genetically inherited. For about 10 years, I have been having symptoms, which are progessively getting worse and more difficult to manage. I have difficulty in movements and speech. The ataxia affects most activities like walking, talking, typing and so on. Information about this and similar conditions can be found on www.ataxia.org.

This condition is considered untreatable. Doctors help you manage the symptoms, but cannot actually do anything for arresting the slide downwards in your abilities.

In the last few years, a new experimental treatment option has opened up which involves the use of umbilical cord stem cells. Several persons have made the trip to China and found a cure for their symptoms. The main website for the Chinese treatment is www.stemcellschina.com.

I am looking at this option seriously and hope to travel to China in early 2008. Through this blog, I hope to record my experiences as well as seek feedback from other ataxians who may have taken the treatment (or not).

Hope to hear from many of you.

All the best.

3 comments:

arunava said...

RV,

To say the least, I am distressed with what I read. I have been so preoccupied with my own problems that it never occurred to me that others could be having problems of their own. I am sure you have done considerable research into stem cell cure, and the experiences of two similar suffers that you recount in your blog, raise hope. I wish you speedy recovery. Keep us posted through your blog- Arunava

Balakrishnan Gurumurthy said...

hello,

I guess u have done our research well enough to try this option of stem cell therapy,I wish u all the very best n pray u get the desired results,
god blee u,
chandu www.samataxiagroup.org

Unknown said...

Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your condition but I can relate to it.My mother started showing her symptoms in mid 2000, she had been on COQ10 since then. Her condition is deteriorating but the progression is slow as compared to 4 of her siblings, 2 of them passed away. She underwent stem cell treatment in china last year, though we were not expecting a miracle but very little has been accomplished doing so. she had a slurred speech but that definitely improved after going through the stem cell therapy, but as far as her movements are concerned not much. she can still walk on her own using the walker and at times without any kind of support .She does some yoga and exercises as suggested by the doctors but like I said its progressing. Just praying and hoping for some kind of treatment to come up.I pray for you and wish you with the treatment, I read few articles about how some people really had a miraculous change but I guess treatment works differently for everyone. I am still very hopeful that stem cell could be an option to look into and something which does offer some hope to fight this.
My prayers and best wisher are always with you.